Skip to content

Rescuing Dusty Rabbit

July 30, 2013


First a duckling.  Now a baby bunny.  We are attracting helpless baby animals this summer.

My parents got a new TV, and that means we get the hand-me-down TV!  Woot!  The rest of the world may be on to flat screens, but we are just surpassing the 19-inch screens.  The TV we had in our basement was OLD.  So old that the on-off button was sticky and would just turn on randomly.  In our basement.  Where ghosts live, obviously.  It freaked us all out.  So, when my mom offered up her old TV, I was going to make it work one way or another.

My dad had to wait around for the cable guy to get their new TV to work, we timed it so we would get there when the guy left to take my dad to lunch.  We went to a local bar to get some good burgers.  Sarah was HUNGRY.  She wanted all left over fries.  (No.  She didn’t finish them ALL.)


Katie had a “clay for the garden” class so we went to drop her off and had time to waltz through the art gallery there as well.  Then, we went back to my parent’s house and we got the (heavy) TV into the van.  My dad and I were talking about his difficulties with dementia and what is going on when I noticed movement in the corner of their garage.  I thought it was a squirrel, but it didn’t leave the garage.  My dad was talking about how difficult it was getting.  He was telling me that he has noticed a difference in his abilities even since 10 days ago.  He said he thinks faster than he is able to talk.  Now people are starting to help him finish his sentences.  Oh. this breaks my heart.  It is so unfair!

So, anyway, in the midst of this important conversation, I kept getting distracted by this animal in the corner of their garage.  I finally figured out that it had to be a baby bunny.  When there was a pause in the conversation, I finally said, “I think I need to untangle that baby bunny.”  So I went to look, and I thought its leg was caught, stuck in some metal part of the garage door opener.  Ohhhhh.  I didn’t know what to do!  I walked away thinking, am I going to have to rip out its little leg?  Ohhh.  My stomach was in knots.  I decided I had to put on my big girl pants and figure it out.  So.  I squatted down and felt around its leg.  Whew.  It was not caught in the metal.  It was caught in this wire that was curled like an old fashioned phone cord, and the metal piece was stopping it from being able to wiggle free.  I untangled the poor thing.  It had been there a while, but it was so tiny!  It could fit in the palm of my hand.

We tried to let it walk (hop?) around, but it just laid there.  So, using Nicholas’ sweatshirt as a blanket, we took it home.  Nicholas named him (a boy, because Emily Peepers was a girl) Dusty Rabbit.  Dusty Rabbit was promptly deposited in a shoe box with Nicholas’ sweatshirt and I went to pick up Katie.  When I got home, it was time to take Sarah to dance.  Dusty Rabbit came with us, and so did Katie and Nicholas.  Finally, I could clean him up and he was beginning to want to hop around.  He was dragging the leg that had been tangled.  We put him back in his shoe box.

When we got home, I tried Nicholas’ idea of using a syringe (that we use to give medicine to the kids) for water because we don’t have one of those bottle things that bunnies need.  That worked!  He drank some water, and we put in some lettuce and a baby carrot. He nibbled a little, but nothing much.

After dinner, I put a towel in a laundry basket and put a bunch of lettuce on the top to a Tupperware container, I also made a bed out of two more towels.  He can move around pretty well.  He goes from his little nest of towels to get a nibble of lettuce and then goes back to his nest.  We haven’t been holding him constantly, he has to maneuver by himself.

IMG_0345IMG_0346 IMG_0348

We will bring him to the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center tomorrow morning, after we drop Sarah off for her middle school orientation camp (YIKES!).  I think it is such a privilege and a blessing to be chosen to care for the vulnerable.  I hope that Dusty Rabbit’s fate turns out better than Emily Peepers did.  She died three days after we dropped her off.  She did have neurological problems, just like I thought.

There is the news of the day!  It was another exciting day here at chez Megsie!

  1. August 1, 2013 11:27 am

    I’m so sorry about your dad! So difficult.

    Sweet bunny and wonderful stories of rescuing it.

    • August 1, 2013 9:27 pm

      Thank you Willow. It is heartbreaking to watch my dad deteriorate and to know that it is just going to get worse. There is no getting better with this one. Heartbreaking.

      Sending love your way. xo

  2. August 4, 2013 2:29 am

    Awful about your dad, Megsie…my heart goes out to you.

    The bunny! omgsocute. I’m so glad you have that wildlife place nearby!

    • August 4, 2013 6:01 am

      Thank you, Liz. I wish that it wasn’t happening, but it is. So, what can anyone do? Nothing. And that just plain sucks.

      I still need to call and see how Dusty Rabbit is doing! Hopefully he has been released by now!

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: